Fluxuan Forum

Fluxuan Linux, small, fast 32 / 64 bit Operating System.

You are not logged in.

#1 03-04-2024 22:07:32

ceeslans
LinuxFirefox 115.0

Autostarting applications in Fluxuan v5

Today I installed Fluxuan v5 (amd64) on a removable drive. No problems whatsoever with the installation, all in all a really smooth proces.
I'm quite happy with the overall lite setup, looks and performance. The conky is helpful to explore the current keybindings (which in time I probably will adjust to me own preferences).

Meanhile I did replace a few applications and routines. ROXTerm is now default terminal, medit was added as texteditor and firefox-ESR replaced qutebrowser. I've also installed picom compositor to add real transparency to apps like conky and terminal.
I will probably be looking at possible replacement of some memory-hungry services/apps, like connman+cmst for network-manager. This all in good time.

I noticed that none of the running apps were started from ~/.fluxbox/startup (eventhough I could add add startup commands for e.g picom). I guess that a number of services and applications are autostarted from /etc/xdg or directly by fluxbox; but for the life of me I can't figure out how (for example) conky is auto started - or how it can be disabled/enabled at login...
Can you please guide me where/how the process is initiated ?

Last edited by ceeslans (03-05-2024 14:50:26)

#2 04-04-2024 05:32:26

Fluxuan
Administrator
Website
LinuxFirefox 124.0

Re: Autostarting applications in Fluxuan v5

Btw, nice changes , I do love simple .... good looking WM`s ,

You probably did not see all off the fluxbox startup

Right click on your desktop go to Configuration Fluxbox startup -> scroll down and you will see conky & + the rest you can remove change what you want

mini_2024-04-04-05-32-57-screenshot.png

look in the attached image

#3 04-04-2024 08:18:33

ceeslans
LinuxFirefox 115.0

Fluxuan wrote:

<snip>
You probably did not see all off the fluxbox startup
<snip>

oh man... do I feel stupid! 
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Editing the startup file now....

Last edited by ceeslans (14-04-2024 11:58:03)

#4 12-04-2024 15:20:45

ceeslans
LinuxFirefox 115.0

My current Fluxuan desktop.
Upgraded fluxbox v/1.3.5  to v/1.3.7
Replaced connman (over network-manager) / firefox (over qutebrowser) / pcmanfm (over Thunar) and removed orphaned dependencies (a.o. xfce4 related)
Added picom compositor and various gui applications like rofi, yad, gimp, mirage, audacious, mpv etc - and many related tools/scripts/configs.
Overall still a rather skinny setup; filesystem on disk size ~3.4Gb ; Memory consumption at startup ~175Mb (with conky and volumeicon disabled).
I do notice some slight white flashing when opening/closing a terminal window, but cannot find the cause for this odd behaviour. Any ideas?

mini_cheeese_20240412-083149.jpg

Last edited by ceeslans (12-04-2024 15:21:53)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer